Friday, July 17th What the Plus (+) presented “Theyday”: An exploration of the way queer identities have evolved over time, including the initialism LGBTQ+ and its additions and spaces and everything in-between by Andrea Bennett, the author of four books, including the forthcoming Like a Boy but Not a Boy with Arsenal Pulp Press.
Theyday was a Zoom talk and discussion, led by writer, editor, and illustrator andrea bennett, about the in-between spaces of queerness, such as the plus of LGBTQ+. Audience members were invited to send discussion questions and comments ahead of the event, and Nola Poirier lead a Q&A at the end of the talk.
Here’s a longer list of topics that the Theyday talk covered:
- Cheesy they/them puns!
- Non-binary identity
- “Alphabet soup” – Language, labels, and kinship terms
- What the + in LGBTQ+ stands for
- What possibilities the + offers
- What the + may be obscuring
- The concept of umbrella terms
- What possibilities “queer” offers
- “Queer” and politics
- Umbrella terms as spaces of comfort
- Umbrella terms as ways to find friends and chosen families
- What non-queer people can learn from the spaces queer people have opened up
They Day was sponsored and made possible through a grant from